Monday, June 15, 2009

Restaurant RIP


Ed Cone mentions the closing of the Madison Park Restaurant and Ged comments and links to some of his thoughts about restaurants dead and dying.

On a different note, one of my favorite writers, James Lileks, has a regular Monday feature on his blog The Bleat from his extensive collection of matchbook covers.

I've also collected matchbooks over the years and have somehow kept most of the last 30 years' specimens. Some time ago I took the time to scan and organize them and I'm surprised to see there are almost 400 of them. Included are almost 40 from Greensboro restaurants that are no longer with us. Some are greatly lamented, others less so. How many do you remember? As usual, click to see a larger version.

I'm really sorry that one of the unintended negative consequences of the war on tobacco is that we no longer have these wonderful reminders of things past.

No comments: